Friday, June 24, 2016

Library Summer Reading Program 5K Color Run

On the 4th the girls and I did our first 5K.

It was the kick off for the library's summer reading program that is themed 'Ready, Set, Read' this year. After an early morning run, you could come back that afternoon for an ice cream social and to pick up your log books. So the ice cream was a good incentive to finish the run. :)

I thought I was going to die after the first couple of blocks.....I'm not kidding. It was a major wake up call that I can't do a 5K with never working out.....ever. Kylie did just fine. :)

But hey, after that first 1/2 mile I felt a whole lot better and we managed to finish in under an hour. And considering Sidney was running/walking for some of it, I will call that good!

Also.....I have never heard of a Color Run that involved paint. All the ones I've seen involved a powder.

We were squirted with paint..... paint that required quite a bit of elbow grease to immediately scrub off in the shower when we got home. Kylie's legs were stained for a couple of days and Sidney had some green spots on her scalp for a couple of days. Wow. But for some reason....the color washed completely out of the library program shirts we were given to wear.

The girls and I decided to go by some tie-dye and re-splatter our shirts with paint. It worked out quite well.

Anywho..... 5K pictures....

Mike happened to be home and came as our
moral support. :)
He looks thrilled to be out that early on a Saturday
morning, doesn't he? :)


Our pre-run photo with clean shirts


Race route


Everyone lined up to get started


Sidney running her heart out


Kylie walking so Sidney could keep up with her


Sidney got tired!
I pushed her more than she ran/walked.....but that's ok.
better work out for mom that way!


Mike waited for us by the half way part/water station
so he could snap a couple of pictures of us.
Then he walked back to the library to wait for us to finish. :)



At the finish line!


Getting a high five from Ms. Liz, the children's librarian


oh my, look how colored Kylie was....


I had to almost drag Sidney through the last station.
she was pretty nervous about those paint squirters....
there were like 6 of them at the last station..


Sidney looks a little put out because the paint squirter people
got her a little too well at the last color station....


Kylie had so much fun doing it!


The summer reading program is going well. Both girls get to go to a 30-45 minute program each week and hear a story and do something active. Kylie is working on her third log book and Sidney has just finished her first log book.

Here are the girls at one of Kylie's weekly programs. Ms. Liz lets Sidney participate during Kylie's programs too. :)




I'm so glad that the girls love books so much. I loved reading and I really need to make more time to read an actual book these days...besides the kid books I read to the girls. :)

The program is over July 12th so that the library can get ready for Fur Trade Days here in Chadron.
Looking forward to seeing what that is about since we missed it last year when we were gone back home.



No comments:

Post a Comment